Tuesday, April 27, 2010

And the Darwin Award Goes To...

So yesterday I woke up not feeling well at all. Throughout the course of the day I continued to feel out of it altogether. I felt so unsure of myself that I decided I would put no effort in making dinner and that we were having frozen pizza, which of course is brainless.

Here's some background on our frozen pizza-ing.

We buy plain cheese pizza and then put our own toppings on.

The pizza does not come with round cardboard underneath.

There is a lot of cheese, that is the same color (kind of) as the crust, and usually you can't see much sauce, because of all of the cheese.

And...these are just all lame excuses for what I accidenatly did.

I noticed the pizza smelled like it was a little burnt, but figured some cheese just dripped over the side, since you cook it directly on the rack. Thus...I ignored the burning smell.

Timer goes off, and I find this:
(photo taken after I took the rack out and flipped the pizza onto the cutting board)

and this:What happened you ask? I cooked the entire frozen pizza upside down, and in 15 short minutes managed to ruin dinner, ruin my oven, and make our entire house smell like a burnt down pizzeria.

What does a girl do next (after scrapping out the oven and calling her mom)? Why, she gets in the car, goes to the store to get another frozen pizza of course.

Preheats the oven

And...starts a kitchen fire:(photo taken after 90% of the flames had gone out. When the flames were more abundant I felt safer closer to the fire extinguisher than my camera).

After the flames were gone, I did in fact cook the second frozen pizza. And it was good. And our house still smells like a burnt down pizzeria.

8 comments:

  1. From an outside perspective, that's hilarious. (Perhaps not so much if it happened to you and you're currently living in the aforementioned burned down pizzeria.) I think my two favorite details (aside from the obvious fact that you cooked your pizza upside-down) are that 1) you went out and bought another frozen pizza (I'm pretty sure I would have just thrown in the towel and called Pizza Hut at that point.), and 2) you took photos while your oven was still on fire. ("Hey D.B.? The oven's on fire. Will you bring me my camera?") Classic. Hope you have some nice weather today so you can start airing the place out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That sounds eerily similar to something I would do. I would have been just as depressed about losing all my own personalized toppings as I would have been about the mess in the oven. Like Trisha said, I can't believe you didn't throw in the towel and call the closest pizza place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROTFL!!! I'm hopefully laughing with you and not at you, but during this period in my life, it REALLY feels good to laugh:) If it makes you feel any better I baked my husband's Makita Drill! It wasn't my fault since he put it in the oven to dry and I proceeded to put the oven on preheat without knowing, only to find aqua blue plastic dripping everywhere when I opened the door! He still won't let me live that one down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bahaha! This whole story is just totally unbelievable! I love it:)

    Honestly though, after you cook a pizza upside down thus ruining dinner and your oven, the only phone call you make should be to a pizza place that delivers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. if you check out my facebook you will see the remnants of my last cooking disaster. 2 cups of vinegar in 2 quarts of water, simmer for a half hour. it will smell like vinegar for awhile, but the burnt smell will be gone. or in my case, the burnt teflon smell of my boiled saucepan is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fully agree with both trish and tami! I almost peed my pants!!! But, I would have called pizza hut

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome story. I can only imagine the shame of having to tell D.B. of your folly. : ) I certainly don't think any less of you, and wouldn't hesitate to let you put an IV in my 3 day old baby if it makes you feel any better. I just might not let you feed her. ;) You are even cooler because you told this story to us. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have TOTALLY done that before...and with pizza too!

    ReplyDelete