Monday, February 27, 2012

My Day With Patience



Saturday was the big day, the day that I was going to learn to tackle this:
I attended a hair and skin care workshop for white parents with African-descent children. I learned a ton! I learned about products, routines, styles, and do's and don'ts within the African American community.

First off, how to detangle...yikes.
Then I learned how to do a simple two-stranded twist. I had moderate success.
Then I worked on braiding.

Yesterday I completed my first style (although it needs work). Here Patience is rocking two cornrows on each side of her face with two-two stranded twists.
I think this style will look better on a child than a creepy adult mannequin too.


I have to admit, I have no idea how I'm going to pull this off on a moving child.

As I continue to practice new styles, I will update you all with pictures. Let me know if you have any style requests :)

9 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Nice work. But I agree that it'll be cuter on a kid. Where do you store Patience when she's home? I think I'd have nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Work,Sis! You always were good with your dolls' hair when you were little. I'm sure Patience was not embarrassed for the ride home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Hillary! What a challenge...on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lookin good Patience! My request would be some kind of design... Maybe even words could be spelled out in cornrows? It sure would give you "patience".
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so cool, and Patience is rockin' her do! As far as where to store her, I say make it a game with you and D.B. She should just be "waiting" somewhere to surprise him in the morning, like the shower, or cereal cabinet, vacuum closet. Then when he finds it, you both laugh, and then it's his turn. :) I'm cracking up just thinking about how funny that would be to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. way to go! it will be a lot harder on a moving child, but you will get it, practice makes perfect :) C will be stylin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very impressed! I can't wait until Colbie's hair is long enough for you to practice all your mad skills!

    P.S. Sorry about all the deleted comments, I'm not sure what happened!

    ReplyDelete