Sunday, March 28, 2010

Two More Reasons we Love Madison

Friday evening we were invited by friends to attend a local fish fry. The dinner was put on at a local church, and it was amazing. I'm not just talking about the food, which was really good, but the experience itself. Fish fries are everywhere in Wisconsin, and they are serious business. A lot of churches put them on during Lent as fund raisers, and they are wildly successful. The line started out the doors, snaked around the halls of school (connected to the church) and ended downstairs where the food was being served by the parish/school kids. I would have never thought that people, myself included, would wait for over an hour to eat in a church basement. It was totally worth it, and therefore reason number 156 that I love Madison is: Fish Fries!!

The church where the event was held (the building was beautiful!)
The cars lined up down the old country road:Okay, so onto reason number 157 that I love Madison: Father Nate!!! Nate is a friend we've made here thanks to Notre Dame connections. We try to get together quite often, and it really took no time for us all to bond over our common love of desserts, especially cupcakes.

Today when we arrived home from work we found this on our doorstep:This is a box of cupcakes from Cakelove in Washington D.C. Nate had just visited for a couple of days and brought this back for us!!! Now here's the real kicker, they are SALTED CARAMEL cupcakes, which just happens to be my all time favorite flavor!!!I think we've decided that if the dessert arrives from out of state, and is given to you by a priest, you are allowed to eat them. Even if you gave up sweets for Lent!!!

Thank you Nate for being so thoughtful and being our Reason Number 157!!!

9 comments:

  1. I definitely think those reasons exempt you:) What a GREAT gift, I hope they were as AMAZING as they looked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, there are fish fries everywhere in MI too! I think you just didn't know, because you weren't Catholic when you lived here. All Saints has a good one, but the best one is in Grand Rapids, the line goes all the way around the block!

    A priest brought you cupcakes? That's simply amazing. Did he carry them on his lap all the way home? I mean, D.B. couldn't even get yours home safely from Canada, if I remember correctly? I'm just sayin. That sounds like a strange combination of flavors, but I'll have to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE that you got cupcakes on your doorstep. SEE? Getting random presents is so much fun!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a "sweet" gift from Father Nate! So glad you enjoyed your Friday night fish fry. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you're loving Madison so much. And I love that you found a Lenten loophole! Hope the cupcakes were as amazing as they look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. That sounds like the best cupcake EVER. I loooooooove salted caramels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading your blog! How completely thoughtful and amazing of Fr. Nate! Looking forward to sharing many more fish fries over the years in Madison. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fish fries!!! Yummy!

    And those cupcakes look awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I would have found this sooner--it sounds right up your alley!

    http://www.bakeitpretty.com/blog/2010/03/cupcakes-for-cures/

    P.S. Owe you a phone call!

    ReplyDelete