This past Saturday morning I woke up at 5:30 and headed downtown to run. It was a cold 50 degrees and I was all alone, not the typical race morning I'm used too. As blogged before, D.B. ended up not being able to run because he was back in Seattle for Grandma Sanders' funeral. It had crossed my mind to bail on the whole thing, but it was all of that training that made me get out of bed. Oh, and Sara and I had eaten Mexican food the night before. Let this be a lesson for all of you, trust me, Mexican food the night before a race is a bad idea...really bad.
With bad stomach cramps for the first two miles I cursed the Mexican food and once again thought about throwing in the towel, but instead I changed my goal from wanting to finish in two hours to wanting to finish, and maybe run a 2:05.
After the two mile mark I got into my groove and started feeling good. I finished strong and hardly even felt sore afterward. It was sad though not having anyone I knew at the finish line, and because I didn't know anyone I don't have any pictures of me running or with my medal. But... here's my medal, and as for my time...
You rock Hillary! If Mary's shower hadn't been that day I would have loved to see you rock that run race!
ReplyDeleteThanks Tami, next year you can watch me rock the run race at the same time I watch you rock the very same run race!
ReplyDeleteAwesome job Hillary!
ReplyDeleteWoo hoo!!! Thanks for the great advice about pre-race meals and also for doing something crazy like running a half marathon so I don't have to!!! : ) You're inspiring to me...but just to get my butt out and exercise.
ReplyDeleteThat is a FANTASTIC time!! Great work girl! We will definitely do the Chicago 1/2 together next year!
ReplyDelete