Monday morning we took the metro down into the city for a jam-packed day of being tourists. We pretty much had the entire look going for us (big camera, travel books, over the shoulder bag, D.B.'s tennis shoes, etc), with the exception of the fanny pack.
First we headed to the American History Museum, which had some pretty great exhibits. Pictures from this museum still to come.
Next we headed to the capitol building to get a better look at The Mall, and also because it was close to where we wanted to eat lunch (priorities).
We had lunch at the cafe in The American Indian Museum, and it was great. It was a lot of fish and a lot of seasonal (pumpkin and squash) food. After lunch we walked around the museum for a few minutes, but sadly I can only look at Native American relics for so long. Don't get me wrong, I would highly recommend going to this museum...for the food.
Next we were onto our third Smithsonian of the day, The Air and Space Museum. I would like to take a moment and thank Smithsonian's for being free because otherwise we would have been in the poor house after this day. We had a really great time at this museum, and really learned a lot, like enough that I think we need a beach vacation next where I don't have to learn anything at all, I'm just sayin'.
A quick stop at Starbucks (love me a soy pumpkin spice latte) and we were off heading toward the monuments.
The Washington Monument:

The newest of the monuments, World War Two Memorial:
A shot of the Lincoln Memorial from the World War Two Memorial:

My favorite, Korean War Memorial:
Lincoln Memorial:

And here's where I got a little tearful. This is obviously the Vietnam Memorial, but what we were looking at was the name of D.B.'s uncle: Daunt B. Sanders, aka D.B. When I took the first picture, I looked at it and saw in the reflection of the wall my D.B. right there with his namesake.
I think we walked a total of 300 miles this day, and I did it in ballet flats. Needless to say, by the time we got back to the hotel, my dog's were barkin'. And yes, I wore the same ballet flats the next day too.
awesome photos Hillary...esp the one of DB's image in the Vietnam War Vet memorial.....and....distraction??? had to laugh at that one.....looks like a fun trip! My first time to DC was met with a bit of disapointment when I realized the "mall" wasn't a "mall" after all...... ;) I also loved the Korean War Memorial.....
ReplyDeleteHey Hillary, These are great photos but the best by far is DB with the Vietnam War Memorial. I think it could win a contest! Just seeing the Memorial is emotional let alone to see your namesake in front of you.
ReplyDeleteThe last picture is awesome!!! Isn't D.C. a great city? Looks like you had a terrific visit!
ReplyDeleteI love love love D.C., probably one of my favorite cities!! Your pictures are terrific, but the last one is by far the best. Amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteLove, love, love that last photo. I noticed the reflection before I even read the blog and it's just incredible.
ReplyDelete