Okay, so if you read the last post, you know that I really want to run a marathon before I turn 30, and that gives me slightly less than a year. I have my eyes set on the 2011 Chicago Marathon, but in order to even train for it, I have to rebuild my base.
I set out to start the "rebuilding" process the other day. See, here I am in running clothes.

Molly and I took off for what was going to be a lovely fall, afternoon run. Approximately 10 strides into the run (I'm not kidding, I was literally across the street from my house) the hound spotted a squirrel and dashed in front of me. I went airborne, way airborne! As I was lying on the ground post belly flop, Molly jumped on top of me trying to play. As I'm struggling to get a small pony off of my back a man jogs by, and doesn't say a thing! RUDE! I kind of felt like yelling, "don't worry about me, I know you saw me fall, but I'm totally fine." But I didn't.
At this point I thought long and hard about walking back across the street to the house and calling it a day, but then I thought about the marathon. I took off down the street with the dog on a tight leash (literally) and my knee, elbow, and palms skinned up. I'm sure that people I ran passed were wondering why I looked a bloody mess, but I didn't care, because I had rebuilding to do.
As for the shirt I'm wearing in this picture. It is actually a finishers shirt for the Portland marathon. I inherited it from the husband because it looked very "feminine" on him, and I happen to think it's super comfy. I do feel like a bit of a fraud wearing it though.
Hillary, I'm going to tell you a wee little story that will hopefully make you feel a bit better about your fall. Last weekend I met a friend out for girls night. We started at the Opus where I drank a lovely Cosmo, moved to a place off the square called La Mestiza where we had an app and two Margaritas and then went to Joan Rivers at the Overture. Well, what would Joan Rivers be without a few glasses of wine! Afterwards we went to Gena's downtown where I consumed way to many Vodka and Cranberry's. (8-9 if you may know). I think I met Megan's husband but I would prefer a re-do. Anyway, my friend dropped me off at my sister's house for the night (thank goodness they were not home!). Well, in my attempt to stumble to bed for the night, I slipped on the hardward floor (it was a hardwood floor versus sock situation, it had NOTHING to do with my level of intoxication) and did the splitz. Yep, my right leg went forward, the rest of me went backwards. The result you may ask? Bruised L elbow, bruised L knee and (sigh) torn hamstring in my right leg. So, I feel your pain.
ReplyDeleteYou should consider the Detroit Marathon as well. It's at the same time of year, and it's a GREAT one!
ReplyDeleteI have to say that the angle at which you are standing in that photo makes you competition with Calista Flockhart for the thinnest girl on TV! Just remember that exact pose for the mirror after you eat 7 cupcakes in 2 days and it wont matter at all!!!
ReplyDeleteWay to rock the bloody knee!! If you remember correctly, I fell off my bike (right in front of someone) while I was training for my Duathlon...after the fall, I still needed to finish the bike ride and start the second run...and like you, I did it! Way to go!!!
ReplyDeleteOh wow -- you are living my life. Last fall, Niko and I really got into running, er jogging, form. We jogged every morning and every night. There were a few near-death experiences with bunnies and ducks on the trail...and once even a DEER! However, the little snot has turned into an anti-social bitch and I can no longer take her on the trail when it is light out --- as she now attempts to eat every dog that crosses our path. Super mad props for continuing on the run
ReplyDeleteI fall down often so I know how it goes.
ReplyDeleteIts something about the bathrooms in there house. They are very flattering. I wanted to take her downstairs bathroom home with me the last time I stayed over.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! You are so completely brave... THAT is my biggest fear about running!
ReplyDelete