Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankfulness


This is guest blogger D.B., AKA “The Husband,” AKA “Dad.” Not all of Hillary’s friends/blog followers know that I am pretty even-keeled. Really even-keeled. In fact, Hillary has gotten frustrated with me for not being more upset at some stages of this whole adoption process (especially compared to how upset I sometimes get watching Notre Dame football). Apparently, I may have taken the even-keel a bit too far recently, as some of my family accused me of being a machine or robot because I wasn’t more excited or emotional when we talked in the hospital after Colbie was born.

Well, the reason that I was so machine-like was that if I allowed some of my emotion to come out, all of it would have come out – the sadness and helplessness of dealing with infertility; the hurt of the two previous failed adoptions; the relief and joy of finally, after 3 ½ years, having a baby of our own; the immediate, immense love we felt for our new baby, whom we didn’t know for more than 5 minutes before we couldn’t bear to have her out of our sight; the tension knowing that the birthmom could change her mind and take Colbie away from us at any moment. I did tear up when they wheeled Colbie into the room for the first time, and was only able to hold back more tears by thinking about how, if Hillary saw me crying, then she would be a mess. The hospital Colbie was born in was a Catholic hospital, and on the day before we were discharged, I went down to the chapel. I couldn’t even put words to a prayer without some pretty ugly crying. And I really had to hold it together on the drive home from the hospital – that 1 ½ hour ride seemed surreal, as it probably does for all new parents.

At times over the past 2 weeks, I’ve been pretty emotional. I can’t listen to certain songs on the radio, and even considering watching the movie UP again is totally out of the question. Being a father definitely changes how I take care of patients. I thought all of the emotions were going to come out on Tuesday when we had the TPR and we found out that Colbie was ours, FOREVER. Finally, finally, Hillary and I don’t have to wait for the other shoe to drop. We can answer our phones without dreading that it will be our social worker with some bad news. We can make plans to visit family, send out birth announcements, send out Christmas cards.

As with all new parents, things were pretty busy and we didn’t have time to dwell on the significance of the TPR. We were on to soothing the crying, prepping the bottle, changing the diaper. Which is perfect.

We are so incredibly happy and thankful to be where we are today.

Happy Thanksgiving, from D.B., Hillary, Colbie, and Molly Moon

10 comments:

  1. What a BEAUTIFUL post D.B. Congratulations again on your Gorgeous daughter!!! I can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. D.B., that was an incredibly touching post. If you're using this blog similar to how we use ours, as an online journal for our little ones to look back on, I know that this one will always bring tears to Colbie's eyes. You and Hillary are wonderful people and now are wonderful parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara just showed me this post. wow , really wonderful to read DB. So happy for the both of you and I cannot wait to meet her in January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I discovered a long time ago that all we can do is make our way through this world with as much dignity and nobility we can muster. Don't worry about being machine-like D.B. We all have our coping mechanisms. We cannot afford to be anyone else's version of ourselves. All we can do is be the best men that we can be in our own way. Congratulations to you and my sister. Everyone breathed a giant sigh of relief when we finally got the TPR news. I'm sure none breathed a deeper sigh or took in fresher air than you and your wife. Its now as official as it can be, you are a dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post this was, which will be treasured for a long time by your family!

    I love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWW! It was so nice to hear from the Daddy. I think that people forget sometimes how difficult it is for the man when you go through difficult times. It was so incredible to hear things from your perspective. It is so comforting to write sometimes. It sounds like you have grown so much as an individual, a person, a dad. Congrats to you and your amazing wife. I know that you are both going to be wonderful parents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So we're sitting in Starbucks after church and I decided to check in on you guys -- then I had to figure out how to tell Gregg why I'm on the verge of bawling (and try to quickly make it clear that it's nothing bad!) Congratulations on the successful TPR, and happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to hear your perspective, DB. Perfectly said! Wishing you ALL THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So that's why Hillary loves you so much! Can't wait to see you all - I'm feeling the need to kiss some little toes - no not yours Hill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. D.B., well said. Thanks for giving us a peek into your inner thoughts and feelings. You know us ladies sure like that kind of stuff! :) Can't wait to see you in February and meet Colbie in person!!!

    ReplyDelete